Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Worst bus ride ever

Ok so yesterday when I said that the bus ride was going to be 14 hours. I was slightly exaggerating.

We woke up about 30 min before we were supposed to get on the boat to get back to the mainland. No time to get breakfast because that usually takes 2 hours to make.
Boat ride was about 30 min and we got to shore at 8:45. We got our tickets and did our paperwork for the Cambodian visa and handed the guy at the bus stop our passports and $30 each without really knowing when we were going to get them back.

Bus came at 9:30. We crammed into a tour bus full of people and were dropped off at the Lao/Cambodian border at about 10:30. Bus dropped us off, we crossed the border without our passports with hope that it would be there when we got to cambodia.
There were more than 30 people on our bus and we were forced to wait in between borders at a restaurant that was basically a tent with a wood fire.

An hour passed, the guy that had our passports gave them back with the cambodian visa inside. He wasn't clear when we were going to get back on the bus so we ordered some fried rice at the restaurant and waited.

4 hours later a bus finally comes at 3:30. We cram back on and I didn't think of getting some snacks to take on the bus. I had to force the driver to stop the bus on the side of the road because I don't think I've ever had to pee that badly before in my entire life.

We finally stopped in a town around 9pm and everyone was starving. There was a bus next to our bus and we were being told to get on it. I said "food food bus?" and they said no time, 1 min to get on the bus. I might add that this bus was already half full of people and was blaring Cambodian karaoke on the speakers. I gave an old guy from spain my seat and I was half standing, half crouching for about 4 hours.
Hungry, tired, horrible cambodian music blaring in my ears...everyone wanted off the bus.

Finally got to Angkor Wat at 2am and got a hostel while the total trip was about 17 hours, we got in the room and apparently you have to pay an additional $5 for hot water and we didn't have a sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment